Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Deli

Huffington post claim that Los Angeles deli's are better than New York.

Now, I'm all on board to celebrate any aspect of Los Angeles that is superior to New York (it is, a better city if you ask me), but I hate deli articles that focus only on Jewish Deli's. I agree with the author's general point about New York Deli's and New York in general - it often feels like a tourist trap. Maybe it is because I've never lived there, but New York, to me, feels like one big tourist trap. It feels unlivable. It feels overcrowded and dirty and energy-sapping. And most importantly: totally overpriced. Like, way, way, way, ridiculously overpriced.

But onto deli's, the real subject...Jewish deli's are so obviously inferior to Italian deli's, I cannot comprehend why more gets written about Jewish deli's. I can be objective on this subject as I am neither Jewish nor Italian and love deli's with all my heart. They are probably my favorite eating establishments on the planet. I want to own a deli one day.

I've never been to a great New York Italian deli, although by any common sense, there ought to be good ones. Could they be better than Bay Cities or East Side Market? I doubt it. That is a lay down the law challenge.

No comments: