Friday, September 18, 2009

Red vs. Blue

Thoughts on why the vitriol is up.

Irresponsible Leadership Chris Matthews and former Democratic congressman Kweisi Mfume blamed congressional leaders for allowing the fringe to dominate. "Maybe we are starting to enter that uncharted area where people feel free enough to act out what they want to do," Mfume said, criticizing both Republican and Democratic leaders who refused to condemn fringe elements. "And so skinheads become more outspoken and the bigots become more outspoken."

Matthews agreed. "There was a time when people like William F. Buckley would stand up to those in the conservative movement who were Birchers, who were John Birch Society types who thought that Eisenhower, General Eisenhower, was a communist," Matthews said. "There are those who thought that being a conservative meant being anti-Semitic. People like Bill Buckley stood up and said, 'No way can you be part of our movement.' Where are the conservatives out there saying, 'Don't bring a gun to a political meeting, this isn't the '30s in Germany?'"


No one else has said this...but I basically view my blog as an extensive Liberal critique of American Liberalism post 9/11 - with some movies and sports thrown in for good measure. **Side note - even my sports coverage is political. For instance, my critiques of Kobe are politically-based. He is a fascist criminal and as a liberal democrat in the tradition of Magic Johnson, I must oppose him with every fiber of my being. I an often mistaken for a conservative or a libertarian, but I don't view it that way. Am I am a center leaning liberal. Nevertheless, I am merely pointing out that I opening criticize my own side, but my blog isn't widely read outside my own circle. I could blame the world for reading only what they want to hear, but I don't really think that's the issue. In fact, I think the vitriol between right and left has more to do with the last point brought up:

* Americans are Simply Scared and Confused The Washington Post's Jim Sleeper suggested that what looks like partisan fighting is really "fear and rage" prompted by a confusing era and economic recession. "The thwarted decency in them is trying to find a political home, a sense of civic standing that is slipping away," he wrote. "And now, such individuals are looking for someone or something to blame." Sleeper points to misplaced anger that, lacking an easy target, is easily directed by partisan figures and pundits. "Anything will serve, if it spares them having to face being had by the unaccountable powers and riptides that are destroying their dreams."

No comments: