Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Counter

The first time I went to the Counter in Santa Monica I was underwhelmed. I didn't like all the choices and didn't get the hype.

Last night changed my mind:

1/3 lb burger with blue cheese, grilled onions, tomatoes, baby greens, and peppercorn sauce. Sound weird? It was frigging delicious.

Now I get the hype. The fun/difficulty at the Counter is picking the right condiments. You really have to make a single choice and build the burger around the choice. I choose blue cheese and all the rest came from there. The peppercorn sauce was the big final decision. It looked interesting, but too crazy initially. I thought to myself. Peppercorn sauce next time - I'll build around the sauce next time around. But because they didn't have a good mustard, I just said f--- it, I'm going with peppercorn. It was awesome.

Ironically, had I started with peppercorn, I may have eventually come around to the same conclusion with the blue cheese, onions, etc.

No comments: