Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Good For Will

The George Will column on Afghan has at least sparked a discussion on the situation. Good. For so long, it's felt like Afghanistan wasn't even happening. There are basically three options:

1. The Status Quo - small special forces units supporting the Afghan govt
2. The Surge - moving more troops in an Iraqi-style surge
3. The Pull Out - bringing a higher portion of all troops home

Obama has signed on for a Surge, so that is quickly becoming the new Status Quo, but for a general outline of strategies, this will do. I happen to side with #1 for the moment. Obama/Gates/McCrystal are working on option 2, although they openly discuss a timetable and are convinced the American people will need to see "progress" in 6months-1year. I didn't think a timetable would work with Iraq. I certainly don't think it'll work for Afghanistan. So why they would tell our enemies the date we're planning on leaving, I have no clue. They'll just lay and wait it out. I would.

As for option 3, I don't think anyone is really talking about it. Even G Will is basically arguing for a lighter version of option 1. I might think a stronger option 1 is the way to proceed. Nevertheless, at least people are acknowledging the existence of this war and the beginnings of a debate are upon us.

No comments: