Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Real Reason I Left Silver Lake

An article about hipsters and how they possess a suicidal impulse are the death of Western Civilization.

Lovers of apathy and irony, hipsters are connected through a global network of blogs and shops that push forth a global vision of fashion-informed aesthetics. Loosely associated with some form of creative output, they attend art parties, take lo-fi pictures with analog cameras, ride their bikes to night clubs and sweat it up at nouveau disco-coke parties. The hipster tends to religiously blog about their daily exploits, usually while leafing through generation-defining magazines like Vice, Another Magazine and Wallpaper. This cursory and stylized lifestyle has made the hipster almost universally loathed.


Ouch.

Let me say this - I possess some hipster habits - the blog and the fix gear. I must come clean in the interest of full disclosure. In my defense, I don't consider this a blog of my exploits mostly because I don't have many exploits. I consider it more in the vein of punditry as unqualified as I am in that field. It may be more accurate to call me a poseur than a hipster. Regarding the fixed gear....I got a cheap bike to commute to work and one I wouldn't mind getting stolen or broken. I use it. The hills aren't bad around here and I use it to get around. Anyhow, I also drink cheap PBR, but that's because I'm cheap, not because I'm a hipster. Of course, no hipster admits to being a hipster. Oh man.

No comments: