Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Book

Since I got my Kindle, buying real books makes less sense. But yesterday, in a used bookstore, I found a book worth buying: The Dangerous Book for Boys. It's a fun book to flip through. If I had my own coffee table, it would be on it. Opening quote:

"Don't worry about genius and don't worry about not being clever. Trust rather to work hard, perseverance, and determination. The best motto for a long march is "Don't grumble. Plug on."

You hold your future in your own hands. Never waver in this belief. Don't swagger. The boy who swaggers - like the man who swaggers - has little else that he can do. He is a cheap-Jack crying his own paltry wares. It is the empty tin that rattles most. Be honest. Be loyal. Be kind. Remember that the hardest thing to acquire is the faculty of being unselfish. As a quality it is one of the finest attributes of manliness."

There is a section on poems every boy should know. If by Kipling was one...which prompted me to buy Kim (which incidentally, is also my wikipedia entry of the day.)

One nice thing about the Kindle: classics for super cheap. Conrad's The Secret Agent is next - cost $2.50. Kim cost $1.60. Huck Finn is $1.29.

1 comment:

singhx said...

So what's your review on the Kindle? Have you had it long enough to formulate a detailed opinion on it yet?