Friday, February 16, 2007

Well, I Hate Islamic Fundamentalists

The whole Tim Hardaway "I hate gay people" comment is sparking some interesting stuff.

I can't say I agree with Mr. Hardaway. In fact I do not hate gay people at all. I love them. All of them. Well most of them. Shit, I don't know. I just know I don't hate them. I admit it would be weird to be on a soccer team full of gay people. Although I guess that's what gay people experience all the time when they are on a team full of straight people, so I should probably get over what might be the stupidist hypothetical I've ever conceived. I don't want to go to gay clubs. Is it okay to say that? Or gay bars. Although, I would go to gay bar if there were straight people there also. At least 20%.

Why do his comments matter? They're incredibly candid, that's why. I like this quote from a formerly gay NBA player.

"Finally, someone who is honest," he said. "It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable. But it is honest. And it illustrates the problem better than any of the fuzzy language other people have used so far."

Do I think Hardaway should apologize or go to counseling or pay a fine? Not really. If he wants to, sure. Listening to Adam Corolla this am on the radio he had a laugh out loud comment after replaying Hardaway's apology. Corolla said,

"It sounded like the apology you give your sister after tearing apart her huggy bear in front of her face when your mom catches you and says 'you must apologize to your sister.'"

Hate is not good for much. But it exists. And I can say, without reservation, that I hate Islamic Fundamentalists. Not just terrorists. Anyone who supports imposing strict Sharia law on people. It means people who support or commit honor killings. It means people who think women ought to wear the veil. Maybe that's not PC or even right. But it's true. I hate the veil. I loathe it. I find it dehumanizing. I tolerate and respect the birkha. I don't like it. I prefer high heels and sundresses and long flowing hair. But I don't hate the birkha. It is humble and non-threatening. The veil, on the other hand, is disgusting and I hate it. I don't think we should ban it. But I still hate it.

I'm trying to think of other things I hate. Garden State. Not really. Never mind, I don't really hate Garden State. Damn, it's kinda hard to think of things to hate. I hate mold on cheese. But then again, not really hate. I just cut it off. Oh, oh...I hate the two guys in Germany who met over the internet and one guy agreed to let the other guy eat him. I hate those guys.

No comments: