Thursday, February 01, 2007

Or Is It?

So there's this party tomorrow night for Woman of the Cinematic Arts. It costs either $6 or $20 to attend depending on what time you arrive. I've gotten in the habit of never attending events that cost money, but in this case am asked to make an exception because it's a good cause.

Or is it?

It seems to me, on a very crude analysis, the point of the group and party is a clever intersection of both fairness and self interest. It is organized by women who would benefit from the industry being more balanced in their favor.

As a man, the self-interest element is missing from this cause, so it really boils down to a question of fairness. Do I think the cause is worth $6 before 10pm versus my other options? It's a tough one.

One part of me has a tinge of resentment for all things like this - all forms of identity politics because a) it's really just self-interest disguised as fairness and relies on guilt and b) I've never been able to personally benefit from it. Gender politics and groups fall into the same category for me.

As an example: It is a statistical fact that girls get better grades than boys in school. There is a systemic discrepancy for whatever X, Y, and Z reasons....if we believe in "fairness," should we have a curve that boosts guys grades up? Maybe we should and I think the dirty little secret of college admissions is that we already do. But if these things were about fairness - why do identity groups always promote their own causes?

In the end these groups have such little impact and influence in the way the world works, that I don't really sweat it. If the party will be fun, I'll go. But I won't go pretending I think it's a good cause.

ps - Just watched 30 Rock. Excellent. Created by a female.

1 comment:

robyn said...

Did someone tell you that you ought to give $6 to this group because of fairness? That's dumb. My impression of the group is that it's about people using their common ground to network with each other. Yeah, there's the unifying aspect that we are female and that's it's been historically and statistically difficult for women to get ahead in key creative roles in film, but the concept behind the group isn't asking the world for help but connecting with each other to help each other. Everything I know about it says that it's not about advocacy, it's about association.