Saturday, December 10, 2005

Watch Out

I was on a set early this AM and one of actors was concerned that Guvnor Arnold was going to make an announcement today on whether to grant clemancy to "Tookie" Williams. He seemed concerned that some type of rioting would break out in South Central Los Angeles (where we are) if clemancy was not granted.

I highly doubt it. I didn't live in LA in 1992, so it's tough to compare, but living in this city today, it's hard to imagine racial riots breaking out. I have trouble imagining the riots happening even 10 years ago.

I suppose this is partially foolish, given the nature of surprises, see New Orleans and 9/11...but I live here, and well, my instinct is this city isn't near a breaking point, nor do most people care about Tookie.

But further, and perhaps this is a reflection of my growing conservatism, but why would the residents of South Central Los Angeles be upset about a gang leader being executed? If anyone should be in favor of his execution, it ought to be this community, the community that has suffered the most from the street gangs and crack dealers that Tookie was instrumental in making. Further, it is his insistence upon his innocence and the racism of the system that is drives his plea for clemancy, not a plea for mercy and forgiveness from his victims. His writing of children's books to encourage young men away from gang life is commendable, but his refusal to give information about his former Crip life reveals a steadfast committment to a moral code inconsistent with the values of a good citizen.

On a personal level, this case is a wash for me...I'm uncomfortable with capital punishment on any level, although after 9/11, I must admit, OBL deserves to die for punishment alone, regardless of how many children's books he may write.

I also find it rather gross, the movement to "Save Tookie," as if the system has wronged him in one way or another. What drives the passion of liberals to focus upon "Tookie," of all people? Is it because he is friends with Snoop Dogg? Does society win by granting him clemancy? Will Tookie's clemancy assuage feelings of guilt we have towards an African American community that past generations of Americans mistreated?

Am I being a dick? Am I a bloodthirty conservative just itching to see a big field negro executed?

What-fucking-ever.

1 comment:

field negro said...

Yes you are!

Being a dick I mean :)