Monday, April 04, 2005

Part II

On the other hand, the Muslim Student Association (MSA) at University of Southern California has a radical website. The MSA hosted the Taleban Ambassador in March of 2001 and still boasts about it on the website. I begin to attend their meetings and get to know the students. I imagine the best and worst case scenario: a hidden terrorist cell plotting to blow up the Oscars. Great conflict. Horrific moral implications.

I do not find any terrorists. I go to an event, the Heirs of the Prophets, organized by the MSA. It’s boring. Fareed Abdullah, the guest lecturer, lectures on 4 different imams, none of whom are interesting to me. A group of tough, older, looking Muslims from Fareed’s masjid come to the event. One challenges me on my religious views during lunchtime. He is a white guy who used to work in the film industry. His tone is aggressive and bullying, “Do you believe in God?” He asks. I smile, “Come on, man, that’s a heavy question.”

“Do you believe in God?” “I haven’t thought much about this question in years.” “Well, do you believe in a creator?” “Yes,” I say, “I guess I believe there is something that created us.”

I caved to his question, which wasn’t about spirituality, but more about dominating an argument. I feel like a pussy.

Do I believe in God? I never know what to say to that question.

I eat next to an Indian guy, who doesn’t know anyone else at the event. He looks equally out of place. The bearded white guy eats his KFC cole slaw with his hands, sitting in a circle on the ground around Fareed Abdullah, who sits above his group of students/followers on a comfortable chair.

The next week, I meet with Karim, Bilal, and Aman after the MSA weekly meeting. I share my experience – why did that guy ask me about whether I believe in God? And what is so great about the Fareed Abdullah lectures?

Aman responds, “This question about Allah is the most important, so important. More important than anything. Greg, man, I wish you luck, man, it’s so important, so important.”

Bilal says, “Fareed Abdullah is good because he doesn’t interpret the Koran, he tells it like it was – very simple and clear. He reads in Arabic the autobiography of an important imam and tells us what the imam taught and did.”

“But how do you know it’s true?”

“Because he studied.”

Aman pops in again, “Yes, Fareed Abdullah has been searching for the truth his whole life. He found Islam when he was a teenager, I think he was Catholic growing up, and then he went to Pakistan to study. He studied with a sect in Pakistan, but what they were doing wasn’t the truth. So he kept searching.”

“Do you find the lectures boring?”

Bilal smiles. Aman shakes his head, no.

“During the midday prayers, I was in the room with you guys and prayed. I didn’t really know what to do. Was that appropriate?” I ask.

Bilal says, “I don’t know. Maybe that is a question for Fareed.” I sense he doesn’t approve.

“Will you guys play soccer tonight?”

“I will call you if we do,” Aman promises.

He does not call.

No comments: