Monday, April 04, 2005

Conflict along the fault line between Western and Islamic civilizations has been going on for 1,300 years…. This centuries-old military interaction between the West and Islam is unlikely to decline. It could become more virulent. The Gulf War left some Arabs feeling proud that Saddam Hussein had attacked Israel and stood up to the West. It also left many feeling humiliated and resentful of the West's military presence in the Persian Gulf, the West's overwhelming military dominance, and their apparent inability to shape their own destiny.

-Samuel Huntington, Clash of Civilizations








But we are all swimming in those waters, Westerners and Muslims and others alike. And since the waters are part of the ocean of history, trying to plow or divide them with barriers is futile. These are tense times, but it is better to think in terms of powerful and powerless communities, the secular politics of reason and ignorance, and universal principles of justice and injustice, than to wander off in search of vast abstractions that may give momentary satisfaction but little self-knowledge or informed analysis. "The Clash of Civilizations" thesis is a gimmick like "The War of the Worlds," better for reinforcing defensive self-pride than for critical understanding of the bewildering interdependence of our time.

-Edward Said, Clash of Ignorance



History:

This documentary started on 9/11. Images of New York on that day haunt me. I still get angry thinking about being attacked, the towers falling, and bodies plunging from buildings. I feel comfort, solidarity, and patriotism when I remember the heroes of Flight 93, New York City Firemen, and Donald Rumsfeld assisting injured people at the Pentagon.

I also remember hearing about celebrations in Palestine, Pakistan, and at mosques in Britain.

When tragedy hits there are generally two competing reactions: guilt and blame. And I have varying degrees of both guilt and blame about 9/11. What did WE do to deserve this? Who is responsible?

In the subsequent weeks, I became obsessed with America’s relationship with the Muslim world. At first, I was surprised and outraged by the attitude towards 9/11 that, “Yes, this was a tragedy, BUT, you must understand…” It was the “BUTS” that killed me. What do you mean: BUT? To me, it was essentially shrugging one shoulders and whispering, “you had it coming.” This was not something I could accept, the smugness towards America, viewing 9/11 like a basketball game when the Cinderella team upset the big number 1 seed. There was something wrong with this picture. As an American, I was offended, hurt, and angry.

What to do about it? At first I read. I read newspapers obsessively. When I realized newspapers did not provide enough information, I went to journals and magazines, The Atlantic Monthly, Foreign Affairs, and the Economist. Then I read books: Thomas Friedman, Michael Scheuer, Richard Clarke, Fareed Zakaria, and Edward Said.

But there was something distant and passive about reading. I felt like I ought to be doing something.

I realized I ought to be talking to Muslims.

No comments: