Monday, March 26, 2012

Logging

Film: The Hunger Games

Well, my pussy sucking of the Hunger Games earlier today proved to be a bit premature. I had the misfortune of actually seeing the movie tonight as I know it will be a topic of discussion tomorrow. I suppose I can appreciate it on those terms. I still like the idea of shared cultural references. It would not necessarily make me happier if America just became a subdivided type of society where only certain sects interact with each other. But I suppose the drawback of such a culture is that many of us must be subjected to tasteless teenage girl fantasies of a post-revolution society after West Hollywood defeats the rest of the nation in nuclear war.

What a strange movie. Can you imagine pitching this thing from scratch? I feel even tasteless people would be embarrassed to pitch an idea - okay - it's the future (or something) and we're in a totalitarian place where one kid from each district goes to battle with other kids to the death and it's like the most popular tv show in the world and there's this president guy who runs the society, but also serves as the executive producer of the tv show, and they pit 9 year old girls against 18 year old boys, and some guy who can paint himself like a rock, and there is going to be a bow and arrow, and Lenny Kravitz will be in the movie also. I swear, it'll be awesome. I can just see the executive feeling weird and being like "I dunno, Susan, pitting kids against each other in a match to the death? Sounds a little dark." "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it'll be for teenage girls and our heroine won't have to make any tough decisions -- like kill someone who is good -- she'll only kill people who are bad and only when they attack her first and whenever things get too hard for her, we'll bail her out with something literally dropping from the sky, and when things get too easy for her, we'll create animals that don't actually exist to attack her...AND...if the audience is ever confused, we'll have Stanley Tucci with blue hair cutting in to explain the set up." The executive leans back and says, "Well, why didn't you say that from the get-go!"

Thank God Game of Thrones is starting next week. If you want to geek out and get dark and fantastical, go Game of Thrones. Oh yeah...the last thing re: Hunger Games...man, it looked cheap. What was up with the special effects? Did we suddenly drop back into the 1980s? I felt like I was watching Big Trouble in Little China or something.

No comments: