Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Logging

TV: Twin Peaks

Finished season 1. Okay - the show loses SOME steam. I think the pilot and the first couple episodes are the best. For my taste, I would have liked the straight ahead mystery with the oddball idiosyncrasies established early on in the story versus the surreal, dream-like story elements. They don't resolve the murder of Laura Palmer, but this did not anger me like some fans of the Killing. I still feel as though I am in good hands with the story-tellers and suspect the story is going to be resolved. But I could be wrong. They ended the first season with an interesting twist.

Mystery on tv is a tricky thing. It seems to me, for the genre, you need to answer the whodunnit question. Twin Peaks easily could have offered an answer as to who killed Laura Palmer in the first season and then continued on. The second season could continue on with other problems and ideas opened up in Season 1 OR we could introduce a new issue like they do in every episode of Law and Order, where in the trial period new questions open up and maybe who we thought was guilty wasn't, or wasn't guilty in the SAME WAY we thought they were guilty. The possibilities are endless. But if I ever tackle a mystery, I really don't want to fall in the trap recent movies and tv shows have fallen into where they basically turn into an audience cock-tease.

No comments: