Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Thin Line Between Being An Asshole and A Sucker

Today I was bumped by another car on the way to work. On 11st street, the guy in front of me suddenly stops and decides to let someone turn left. He reverses. I see the lights. I can't reverse since there are cars behind me. Plus, I don't think the guy is going to move that much. But suddenly, his pace is fast and I know he's gonna hit me. I honk. LOUD. He bangs into me. He gets out of the car.

"Why don't you reverse?"

"Are you kidding me? There are cars behind me. Pull over to the side."

The guy gets back into his truck and pulls to the side so regular cars can go past. We get out. His old friend gets out as well.

"I don't know why you keep going if you see reverse."

"Dude. I was just sitting there. Not moving. I can't reverse because cars are behind me."

"Oh.... It looks like no damage."

I look at the front of my car. Just the license plate is bent a little.

"Doesn't look like much. Should we trade numbers?"

"Why? There is no damage."

"Just in case. Maybe my bumper falls off at work."

"Fine." He laughs as if I'm an idiot. I hand him paper. He writes his number.

"Do you want mine?"

"No."

I drive to work thinking - even if something were wrong, I'd be screwed by not waiting for the cops and calling my insurance right away. I checked the bumper again at work and there isn't any damage. Overall, I'm unsure if I acted like a dick or a pussy.

No comments: