Friday, November 20, 2009

Expanding My Social Networking Hate

I did not like (or join) Friendster or MySpace. My dislike only blossomed into full on hate with Facebook - specifically - when it started a fake page of me.

But my hate is expanding at a rapid pace. I decided I couldn't be a full on hater without dipping my toes into the water. I sought out the least-worst social networking sites: linkedin and goodreads. I figured linkedin was under the guise of professional networking and goodreads would be people who read books and would be simple and low impact and I wouldn't have to know they guy I sat next to in 9th grade geometry was taking a shit right now.

But alas, it turns out both these sites are awful as well, just not as glaringly awful as Facebook. First of all, I was attacked on goodreads for writing about a book I read (the entire point of the site). I'd prefer getting jumped in the streets by attackers so I could face them down than the anonymous wails and cackles of random voices from the internet. They accused me of awful things - not actually reading the book, trying to sabotage the book, etc, etc. No actually, I just read it and thought it sucked so I was trying to save the world's time from one more pointless book. But no, the only people who read my post were people invested in the book itself. Anyway, I stopped doing goodreads after that.

LinkedIn is annoying. I get more requests from names I kinda-sorta-recognize but really aren't sure who they are. Was that a make-up person on a thesis film I worked on? Was that the guy who worked for a PG&E group from eight years ago? Was that guy in my Pomona seminar class? Is that an intern from two years ago? I mean, what is the point, really? Honestly. If you want to keep in touch, write me an email. If I want to keep in touch, I'll respond. That's it, dudes and ladies. Otherwise, leave me alone. Thanks.

2 comments:

andy v said...

what's your twitter username by the way?

Greg said...

what is twitter?