Sunday, November 08, 2009

NFL

I'm developing mixed feelings about football. On the one hand, I love it. I watch every weekend. I enjoy watching all sorts of teams, not just the 49ers. But several things are happening -

1. The games are waaaay too long. Instant replay kills the flow of games. Challenges too.

2. The guys are too big, too fast, and too strong. Mostly due to steroids. And they hit so hard. With what we know about concussions and the long term effects to the players, I'm watching these guys continually putting themselves in positions to fuck themselves up. Like give themselves brain damage. I see helmets flying off during the games all the time. How long is it before someone comes in late after a helmet comes off with his helmet? What is the effect of it going to be on the league and the game?

3. The NFL is more popular than ever. I don't see these trends reversing themselves, although the NFL is putting more rules into place to protect the players.

I hate to sound like a ninny. But in my old age maybe I'm becoming one. Basketball and soccer - nice elegant sports that don't see to have the long term health problems or incentives to use steroids...yet.

No comments: