Monday, January 05, 2009

5:58

Not a great mile time, but respectable given the cold, a long day at work, and my woeful shape. Were it above 6 min, I'd be a bit worried. Below 5:50 and I'd be proud.

It's a long way off from the best mile time I can remember - 5:15. If memory serves, I ran than during high school, when I was 15 lbs lighter and in great shape. I'm sure I could of topped it in college during the soccer season, but probably not by much. Maybe could of broke 5:10 on a great day. I don't really know.

Given my current situation, a goal of 5:35 before spring seems like a good goal.

Over the break I was jogging, lamenting being considerably slower than in my younger years, and then wanted to kick myself for glorifying my past in my head. I was never ALWAYS in shape. I was certainly in great shape by the end of the soccer season, but would definitely fall out of shape in the off season. It would take a good month of casual training on my own and another month of hard training with the team to get in real good shape. One way to look at the late 20s-30s is one long off season. The implication being, I could get back into shape. Theoretically, this is true, but there will never be the time or motivation to get into game shape. During the season playing intense 90 minute games twice a week was what kept one in shape. In the real world, there is no opportunity for a workout that intense.

So with this new stop watch I'm going to try and track my mile times and improve.

No comments: