Saturday, July 07, 2007

Jeans

Been needing a new pair of jeans for awhile now. Sometime ago, I decided against fashionable, expensive jeans in favor of Levis since I like them good enough and my last fashionable pair of jeans ripped apart at what I thought was a premature age for jeans to die. But since I don't shop very much, I'm not too savvy about what different stores offer. In short, I didn't know where to go to get Levis. I thought a mall would surely have them, so while in Glendale today, I stopped by the Galleria area and went into Nordstrom. To put into perspective, Nordstrom has always basically been my home base for shopping, resulting from the proximity of the department store to my house while growing up. At this mall the two main stores were Nordstrom and Macy's and the Nordstrom men's section was a tad better than the Macy's. They used to have big sales once or twice a year and you could load up on good clothes for fairly reasonable prices.

In Nordstrom today I look around for jeans. I'm not joking, the least expensive jeans I found were $180. For jeans. What happened? I remember when there were a only very few brands that could pull of this ridiculous overpricing. I consider $80 jeans expensive - so there was no way I was going to even try on one of these uber costly jeans. I ask the gay guy wearing a Ben Sherman suit if they had Levis. He said, "No. Try Mervin's." He tried not to be insulting, but I don't think one can say "Try Mervin's," while dressing nicely without being insulting. So I did. Sure enough, Mervin's had loads of Levis - on sale. Granted 80% of them were lame, but I found two cuts I liked and got a couple of pairs. Total price: $69. For two. That's what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Melissa Ellis said...

This blog frightens me. If mens' jeans start at $180 at the Department store, then my 3 year old "expensive" $100 ladies' jeans must start at $250 now. Lame. I saw a pair of daisy-dukes at Macy's for $120. That's scary too.