Monday, July 23, 2007

Enjoying Combat

Yes, I bet a decent number of soldiers enjoy combat and even killing the enemy. I know that it is taboo to say...they are supposed to be reluctant soldiers, solemnly doing their duty. But I doubt that is true.

The only thing I can compare it to is sports...during soccer games, when things get messy, and you're hating the other team, there is often that guy on the other team who's been giving cheap shots during the game, talking trash, and otherwise trying to bully an advantage. I do sometimes try to set this guy up, let him think he has space for one more touch, just so I can give him a really, really hard tackle that will hurt him. Yes, I want it to hurt...never injure, but hurt and hurt enough that he doesn't want to go in another tackle with me or any of my teammates for the rest of the game. That on the next challenge he takes that split second off because he remembers the crunch of the earlier tackle. And I don't mind if I'm late and taking a foul or a card if necessary either, because there is a certain attitude it takes to win...in sports and I imagine in war. I don't believe in playing dirty, but at the same time, I've never accused anyone of playing dirty either. I really dislike the type of player who complains about another guy playing rough or hitting too hard. The solution: hit back, but do it fair. And if you complain to the ref, it should be to gain strategic advantage, not to try to find "fairness."

In any case, it is nothing like combat I'm sure, but the psychology of hurting others exists and isn't something I think we should be all that scared of.

No comments: