Sunday, July 15, 2007

Did The Baja Fresh Girl Like Me or Think I'm Crazy and How I Know I'm American

As a prelude, I find it difficult to top a summertime Sunday evening tennis match under the lights followed by Baja Fresh. The new item they are advertising is the "enchilada burrito," which is the same as the wet burrito, essentially a red taco sauce and cheese over a regular burrito, heated up.

I like the wet burrito...but only with meat. A bean and cheese or veggie burrito should not be wet. Baja Fresh has an odd selection of burritos - they have about three different kinds and I cannot remember the exact differences.

I ask the girl how the enchilada works - she says in fairly broken English - order any burrito and you can make it wet. The menu is set up a bit confusing because some burritos list meat and other do not, but all of them list meat options below.

This conversation actually required a bit of back and forth because of the confusing menu and the way the wet burrito is advertised. I noticed when the communication gets a bit hairy, I raise my voice and start talking louder as if it will help. This is how I know I'm American.

After taking too long to examine the menu, I decide the bean and cheese and guac burrito sounds the best. I'm not too hungry so I say to myself - save the wet for another time. Stick with the staple. I order the burrito and insist it should not be not wet. She gives me this look, "well, why'd you ask about it then, asshole," and then says "Chicken or Steak."

"It comes with meat?"

"Yes."

"Chicken. And actually, can I have it wet, then."

If the first look was questionable, the second look was not.

As I waited for my food, she started to clean up, they were soon closing down. When I finally got my food, she insisted on opening the door for me and gave a big smile.

My theory is that she thought about my order and realized that yes, the wet burrito does make more sense with meat, and that guy wasn't a total idiot and I feel bad for giving him a bad look earlier.

1 comment:

robyn said...

Japanese people have done the increase-volume thing to me too, so it's not confined to US citizens. It's totally hilarious when someone does it to you and you have know idea what they're saying. I almost started laughing when it happened.

I think it comes from a place of "of course you speak [my language], how could you not, so let me just slow it down for you and then you'll get it".

Which, given the Japanese-ness of Japan and the American-ness of America makes perfect sense.