Friday, June 08, 2007

What We've Been Hoping For

I don't see how this can be construed as bad news with former tribal insurgents taking up arms against Al Queda.

I never understood why some Sunni tribes and former Baathists took up with Al Queda and the insurgency in the first place, to be honest...it seemed like a losing proposition. That it took this long for them to come around is the biggest surprise to me. Then again, I know nothing about the conditions on the ground. From a former insurgent commander:

"After we are done with al Qaeda," Abu Ali says, "we will ask the Americans to withdraw from Iraq. ... If they do not withdraw, there will be violations and the American army will be harmed."

He adds, "Especially after the help the U.S. Army has provided us, we would like them to go home as our friend, not enemy."

Sounds good to me.

No comments: