Saturday, June 16, 2007

Is the Middle East A Disaster?

Can we trace Gaza being taken over by a terrorist group back to Sharon's withdrawal? Sure. Of course we can. Shit, I supported it. Am I happy Hamas is in control of Gaza? No. Is this a disaster? I don't know.

As far as I can tell, the Middle East has been a disaster for decades now. Everything we do or fail to do, support or fail to support, somehow fails. There simply isn't success to be had in this region, just different levels of abject failure and misery. That is why I'm in favor of almost any new, innovative ideas to try to get this region functioning better. I supported getting rid of Saddam in Iraq. I supported Israel's move to unilaterally pull out of Gaza. I support the surge. I support elections in Palestinian areas and Iraq, but I don't support working and supporting radical Shiia or Sunni groups - unless they are doing our killing for us, by attacking other radical groups as in Anbar - even if they are elected. Is that hypocritical. I don't think so. I believe in democracy, but it doesn't mean I'll always support the winners. I support the process.

Anyways, I'm just rambling.

No comments: