Saturday, June 10, 2006

World Cup

Barely was able to get out of bed this AM to see the 2nd half of the England-Paraguy game. Lame game. England didn't look good. I don't like how conservative Paraguy plays. They have this guy Cuevas, a really exciting player, that they sub in when they need a goal. Why don't they start him? I saw them play Germany last year in round 2 (live) and they literally played for the tie, not even subbing in Cuevas in during overtime. This was after he scored two goals in a first round game against Slovania in like 15 minutes. He threw a fit after the game, because Germany ended up winning 1-0. I think Ballack scored a goal in OT, with like 5 minutes left, after which Paraguy subbed him in. Paraguy was playing to get to PK's. I hate that style. So did Cuevas, he was throwing a fit. I felt bad for the guy. This was clearly the most talented guy on the team and he here has a chance to play on the world stage and the coach is sitting him, presumably because he was a) young and b) maybe deficient in some aspect of his game (defense?). Who knows.

Point is, England didn't look sharp, but they still have a lot of good players. I want to see this Roony play.

On the other hand, the Sweeden-Trinidad Tobago game is good. Sweeden looks strong and fast and skilled. Trinidad is outmatched, but it's still 0-0 and soccer is a weird game.

I have hope.

No comments: