Thursday, June 22, 2006

Goodbye, USA

We played with some heart against Italy, but let's be honest, we're not that good at soccer (football). Every team we played in our first three games was a better team, more talent, stronger, faster, more creative. It's hard to win under those conditions.

The referees - maybe they did us wrong, but if it's one thing I've learned in all my years, looking back, it's almost never the referees fault.

The good: Bobby Convey and Clint Demsey

The bad: Landon Donavan and Claudio Reyna

The ugly: Demarcus Beasley.

I didn't realise how bad Beasley had been playing until today. He was atrocious. I would have benched him during the first half. Yes, he did get the assist, but nearly every other choice he made throughout the game was poor.

I don't really have all that much to say. My enjoyment of the world cup will not suffer now that the US is gone.

Oh...one thing...did anyone else read the statistic on the TV that Donavan hasn't scored a goal in 17 international matches. Is that possible? As a forward. I can almost promise that even I could score a goal in 17 international matches as a forward.

No comments: