Sunday, June 11, 2006

Only A Couple Minutes In...

But Portugal has already scored. Figo made a sweet play to get around a defender. This guy is going to retire? Anyhow, Portugal looks good. They are notorious underachievers, like the Dutch and Mexico and Spanish, but these are all teams I like to see play.

I thought Mexico look great at times and really soft at times against Iran.

UPDATE: Christian Ronaldo just did a show off move on a cross. I can see why one could point to this style of play as a reason Portugal underperforms. Why not put in a solid cross? But I'm not a puritan when it comes to soccer. I'm a style affectionado. Not necessarily Brazilian, who many feel epitomize the "style" of soccer. I'm actually more of a fan of British style, which I characterize as offensive minded team play with special pride taken in tackling hard all around the field. Paul Scholes played this way. Roy Keane. Zidane plays this way as well, even though he's not at all British. I also like the Portugese style, with emphasis on wing play. But then again, I like the Dutch game of possession. And I talk shit about Brazil, but goddamn, they are fun to watch, aren't they?

UPDATE: I forgot. SPEED. Portugal is FAST. I love watching fast teams...back in 1998 that was what was so impressive about Michael Owen. His pure speed at getting aound defenders. Same with Donovan.

No comments: