Sunday, June 11, 2006

Speaking of the Community and other Hippy Bullshit

Last night the power went out at my house around 6pm. I didn't notice until about 7pm, as I awoke from a nice little nap. (Note on naps - 1 hour is the perfect amount of nap time. Any longer, and you feel mushy, any shorter and you feel unsatisfied).

The power was out. I couldn't use my laptop to finish my work project, so I was stuck. I couldn't watch highlights. I didn't have night plans. I couldn't make any food. What was there to do?

I go outside and apparently, my neighbors all felt the same way. It wasn't quite dark yet, and everyone was kicking it in the courtyard, doors open, chatting it up.

I got to thinking, why don't people do this all the time? Wouldn't this be nice?

The streets were packed with people sitting outside just watching each other, smiling, all knowing we couldn't be watching TV or whatever else everyone does behind closed doors. Anyhow, interesting little moment...

No comments: