Saturday, June 10, 2006

Coverage

Everyone who reads my blog regularly know I am not one of those left coasters who gets a hard on for talking shit about the US and our neanderthal (fill in the blank - cultural, politics, whatever).

But I must say, our coverage of soccer is embarassing. Can't we import some real commentators? I could give a shit about Alexi Lalas and Brent Musberger.

I also hate comments like, "Trinidad and Tobago is like George Mason from the NCAA tourney and Sweeden is like a number 1 seed." Ahhh, not really. Do they think we are all idiots and can't understand soccer as seperate from some American sport?

Here's the thing...I'm a fan of globalization. That means I'm a fan of the US exporting our best product - democracy around the world. But it also means I'm in favor of importing goods we do not excel at, ie soccer knowledge. We can't, as a nation, learn about the game by listening to idiots simply because they have American accents.

Our team is getting good. Not that good...we are yet to have a world class position player. We will when a position player is a major force on a big European club. That means an American field player on Juventes, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Real Madrid, Barcelona...you get the idea. That's not to take away from Donovan and Beasley, who are great players, but they aren't playing with the best. I'm willing to believe that Japanese players are good at baseball. But it wasn't until Nomo and Ichiro came over and proved how good they were at the highest level, that I became convinced.

Anyhow. I guess we're getting there. These things take time.

No comments: