Monday, May 15, 2006

Good Points

First off, I've noticed in the past couple of months an ease of use of internet podcasting and video, particularly the video/listening that simply requires clicking on the image to get it going - no download or wait. Maybe this has been around, but I've just started noticing it and using it. Anyhow, I listened today to a blogger round table discussion about the news of the week. Basically the format was similar to Left, Right, and Center. I found the dicussion to be smarter and more engaging, but less entertaining than LRC. Mostly because all the commentators were libertarian leaning conservatives, I think. Anyhow, they had some pretty good thoughts. I particularly like Glenn Reynolds discussion on Iran - he said, and I'm paraphrasing, that we should be less concerned with reacting to what the Iranians are going to do, and they should be more concerned with what we are going to do.

His point, is that we need to start acting a little crazy. We are all so concerned with how to deal with Iran - some say, we need to deal with them. Some say, we can't deal with them because they are obviously nuts. Reynolds said that we ought to be going after them where they are weak - seize the mullah's personal money. Blow up their oil fields, harass diplomats, etc.

In poker, sometimes it's beneficial to make bold, irrational plays, so it throws your opponents off. It was going to work for me last night, cause I had Alice all suckered into a hand in which I had 2 Aces because I had played "crazy" before, calling hands I should have had no reason to call. But then she got lucky on the river and pulled a flush long after all the money was in the pot. Total bollacks, but them's the breaks.

No comments: