Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Types of Gamers

In designing a game, you need to create game play that appeals to different types of players. Research on types suggest there are four:

1. Achievers: People who want to be "the best."
2. Explorers: People who take pride in knowing everything about the system.
3. Socializers: Interested in participating, making contact with other players.
4. Killers: Interested in dominating, will break rules, and use brute force.

I actually don't think players necessarily conform to a single one of these characteristics. For instance, in our poker group, I think I generally am an Explorer, but that sometimes I turn into a killer. Wooohhaaahhaaah. I guess sometimes I am also an Achiever and sometimes a Socializer...

Melissa is a clear Socializer. The Wolf plays like a Killer. Phil is an Achiever. Chuck is socializer/achiever. Luke and Andy, I'm not sure about...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Examples of "explorers"? Or are they rare?

2) Where you do you see yourself fitting in this?

3) Is your mapping strictly for poker playing or expands to a larger sense of human characteristics?

Anonymous said...

what retard can't read where you fit in this, greg. -mel (a damn fine socializer)