Monday, March 01, 2004

The Good Teacher

Every time I leave my screenwriting class I want to write. There's one simple reason for this: Professor Gardner. There's no way around it, he's a great teacher. Most of the writing classes I've taken, screenwriting and creative writing in college and in film school have all be frustrating and pretentious and never EVER inspiring. For the first time, I come out of class with new ideas, rather than feeling insecure about my old ones. I think he possesses one simple thing that other writing teachers have not: he cares. That's all it is. He cares about the story you are writing, and he listens, and he makes sure everyone gets to make comments and he always makes sure everyone gets to discuss their film, provided they turn in their outline, scene, or script on time. And because he cares, he makes the other students care about your work - it's contagious and it's just good. I don't know how else to explain it.

Here's to great teachers....their value unsurpassed.

No comments: