Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Chungking Express

Today in class we watched a bunch of clips and one that completely mesmorized me was a scene from Chungking Express. California Dreaming blasts loudly. A policeman comes up to a take-out stand and orders a chef salad. The new girl working aloofly takes his order. He tries to start conversation

"You new here?"
She nods.
"You always listen to loud music?"
"Yeah. It keeps me from thinking."
"You don't like to think?"
"I don't know, I've never thought about it."
"What do you like?"
"I don't know. What do you like?"
He leans into her and motions her forward to whisper, "Chef's salad."
"Ohhhhhh..."
And the camera stays with her for 8 seconds or so afterwards...

I can't do it justice. It almost made me cry. I thought about it all day, couldn't get California Dreamin' out of my mind all day. I rented the film and watched the whole thing. Great movie - but I must admit, this scene was still the best part. Wong Kar Wai's small films - In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express, have so many scenes with characters completely by themselves. They're both an expression and cure for loneliness.

No comments: