Monday, March 01, 2004

Friendster vs. the Blogosphere (the first shot is fired)

I have a problem with Friendster. A disclaimer: I've never set up an account or participated. The reason I've never done so is because I think the whole set up is internet dating in disguise. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with internet dating. I don't participate (yet), but I don't have a problem with it...other than the fact that it takes the organic (human, interpersonal relationships) and makes it transactional. But I have no problems with lap dances or prostitution (if the prostitute is not coerced), which is also making a traditionally organic act transactional. With internet dating, prostitution, and lap dances, I have no beef - I just don't personally participate.

With Friendster, however, I don't participate and DO have a problem because it pretends to be something it's not. What annoys me is the people who participate on friendster (and just the name annoys me, too) generally scoff at the idea of internet dating or classified ads, yet avidly participate in friendster, which serves the exact same function, albeit, in a clever, oh I'm just innocently out there meeting friends of friends online, kind of way.

I also am creeped out by people tallying up a number of people one can call their "friends." It also creeps me out the way people are presented on friendster - it's like posting a resume. I hate resumes. I understand their necessity, but if I'm looking to meet people, I'm not interested in how "cool" or "funny" they can present themself one a resume. It encourages shallowness and clever, cooler than thou speak. It seems to me filtering up the bad elements of youth (shallowness, group-think, social competition) and leaves the good elements (innocence, hope, acceptence, curiousity) to.....THE BLOGGERS. Well, I'm pretty much joking about the last part, but blogging is similar in technology to Friendster, having a webpage in which you control content and contacts, but the blogosphere is fundamentally expressive, creative, and thoughful vs. Friendster, which is transactional, hip, and clever.

So word to that, bring the battle on. They'll have to come to the blogosphere, though, 'cause I sure as hell ain't going to friendster.

No comments: