Sunday, April 08, 2018

On Kevin Williamson and Abortion

Ross Douthart on the issue. And Conor Friedersdorf on the same.

My views on the issue will be obvious and unsurprising to anyone: disagree with Williamson's position, also disagree with his firing.

Only thing I'll add is this: I'm not particularly religious and my official stance is pro-choice, but I know what Douthart is talking about. I've been had close friends say - without any sense of regret or horror - that, yes, without a doubt, they would abort a down syndrome fetus. And I will confess this sentiment makes my stomach churn.

My wife and I spoke briefly about what we would do in such a situation and came to no conclusion. I couldn't honestly say what I'd do. I have had a few, not particularly meaningful interactions with down syndrome people over the years and don't find myself pitying them, or feeling like their lives are worthless, but I rather enjoyed their company. I can't say what this means, but I'd probably go back to the point that human life (including that of a fetus) has intrinsic value and I wouldn't be so quick to discard it for the sake of inconvenience.

Because that's the sick part, isn't it? My pro-choice stance is based upon the presumption that abortion is a hazy issue. A fetus is not a person. It is a fact that many women will find themselves pregnant without any reasonable chance to raise the child well. This is a reality and so we have a choice - the law chooses or the women chooses. My position is to err on the side of the women.

But the Down Syndrome question is different. Presumably, the issue here is that parents (or the women) ARE trying to have a baby, or at the very least are capable of raising A CHILD well, and they learn the fetus doesn't meet their expectations or desires. Aborting a fetus in this situation is entirely different, isn't it? A women is saying: I could raise a baby, I just don't want to raise this baby because it'll be hard for them. Or perhaps, what they truly mean: because it will be hard for me?

No comments: