Sunday, April 01, 2018

Autonomous Vehicles

I'm on record of being skeptical of autonomous vehicles, but I want to log my thoughts in a deeper way:

1. I have no problem with the technology per se, but I'd rather not be a guinea pig in the QA phase of introducing the technology to the "real world."

2. I can forsee LOTS of obvious problems introducing these vehicles onto the roads. Just a couple: when in traffic and you need to switch lanes and you gesture to the other driver and make an agreement to switch lanes - how with autonomous vehicles deal with this situation? As a result of autonomous vehicles, will people become "worse" drivers - in particular - people who are already bad drivers and don't like driving in the first place?  Will this result in more accidents where human drivers are meant to "take over" from the vehicle? Who bears responsibility on accidents? The human driver or the car company? There are often driving situations that are technically "illegal" but safe. Likewise, there are driving situations that are legal, and yet, unsafe? How will a driverless car make this decision? Can a driverless car be hacked and used as an undetectable weapon?

3. A terrific idea is for a single, small city to become driverless cars ONLY. I can see that being a lot more safe - and the roads redesigned for driverless cars. I would not live in this city, but would enjoy visiting it a lot.

4. How much will the things cost? How costly to improve infrastructure to make it work? I am skeptical we are going to be saving money. Do I want my transportation costs to go up?

5. I like driving culture. What will the impact on this culture be?

6. I hate traffic. I am open to the possibility the vehicles will somehow reduce traffic, although I don't quite see how. I perceive telecommuting and staggered work times to be simpler, cheaper, and more effective ways of achieving the same.

7. I do see cool opportunities to reinvent the movie car chase.

No comments: