Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Logging

Film: The Artist

After watching this movie, I had an urge to re-watch Miller's Crossing, which I did via on demand. This is maybe the first time I've used on demand. It cost $3 - just as good as going to blockbuster (except that blockbuster now charges only .99). I was impressed with the number of movies available. I love Miller's Crossing. It might be the best written movie of the Cohen brothers - or at the very least - some of the best dialog. People always talk about Sorkin being the successor to Ben Hecht and Preston Sturges, but I don't see it. Miller's Crossing is much more in that vein than Social Network - truly witty dialog, full of flair and panache. Example:

Tom Reagan: All in all not a bad guy - if looks, brains and personality don't count.
Verna: You better hope they don't.

Come on. That's better dialog than anything Sorkin's ever written.

The Artist was enjoyable. Clever. A nice reminder of the basics of movie going. Some very good moments. Every year, someone still manages to make a movie that makes you go "Huh. Good idea." I probably won't watch it again, but was glad I saw it in the theater.

No comments: