Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Way Things Ought to Be vs. The Way Things Are

I started a post the other day about the failure of the center-left rule in America and the UK - basically a reflection on Clinton and Blair's "have our cake and eat it, too" philosophy to governance and how it lay the groundwork for many of our current problems - both internationally and financially. I haven't finished yet, but I can tell you public musing readers are just chomping at the bit waiting for my political ramblings.

It is why I found this story appropriate thematically - Panera opens a store where you pay what you want.

Panera, if you are a long time reader, was a place I used to celebrate in my old posts when there was one near my old office location. Half of my office was hooked on the bfast sandwiches. They were a great deal - $4 and perfect sized for bfast. I'll still go to a Panera if I'm around one at bfast time and not looking to spend too much.

Much as I like Panera, and much as I like the idea that you only pay what you want, who are we kidding here? Has this idea EVER worked? Even at my old Panera, there were lots of homeless folks as customers - because it was one of the cheaper places to eat down in Santa Monica near the Promenade and there was lots of space to hang out and act all homeless in peace. I supposed Panera gave them some free food as well - or at least discounted.

This idea is stupid. It rewards cheapskates and punishes the generous. Even if it worked, you couldn't expand the idea very far because it wouldn't work broadly, only off the charity of a select few. It reminds me of the political philosophy of the center-left from 1991-2001 - the mistaken premise that we can have it all - guns and butter and ultimately everyone will be our friend and just as importantly, like and be nice to one another if everyone could just...get along. For lack of a better term. Things aren't the way they ought to be - they are the way they are - and we shouldn't forget it.

No comments: