Monday, May 10, 2010

The Seventies

While cooped up at home recovering from ACL surgery, I watched USED CARS, one of Robert Zemeckis' first movies. It was awesome. It made me want to live in the seventies America - a more freewheeling, spirited, less serious time.

When I got the bill for the ACL surgery (this is with insurance) it also made me want to live in the seventies when medical insurance was more affordable.

But then I bumped into a work neighbor. He asked "what happened?" I said "ACL surgery." "When did you have it?" "Last thursday." "Man, I had a friend in the 70s have that surgery after a surfing accident. He was laid up in the hospital for 7 days."

7 days! In the hospital. I can't imagine the recovery time.

I'm paying the couple grand without complaint. And I'm no longer wishing I lived in the 70s - especially because my imagination of the time is based not on reality, but only the films of the period and films depicting the period.

No comments: