Thursday, January 21, 2010

If You Need Another Example

Of incompetent American elites -

I haven't been following the NBC-Conan-Leno saga because, well, who really gives a shit...but as far as I can tell this is the sequence of events:

NBC decides to cut costs by dropping in Leno at 10pm followed by Conan at 11pm. Who would watch two hours of this kind of TV...I don't know (note - isn't there a late, late night guy as well? So really - who would watch 3 hours of this kind of tv?) This brilliant experimental plan was hatched and they doled out enormous contracts to both men. Then 6 months into the plan, it becomes apparent it is a total bust and all the NBC affiliates are losing audience share both in their 10, 11, and 12 o'clock slots. Not only did the plan fail, it had reverberate effects on other programming surrounding the show.

So what does Zucker and NBC do? Blame Conan. Act all weird and secretive and make behind closed door decisions about Conan. Alienate Conan. Piss him off. Then fire him, but leave him on the air to talk shit about NBC for two weeks. Then pay him $45 million to NOT work and get out of the contract, and the only stipulation NBC seems to get out of it - Conan isn't legally allowed to make fun of NBC anymore. I didn't realize you could get paid NOT to make fun of a TV Network. Jesus. I want that job. NBC can pay me a cool mil and I'll never make fun of them again. And that goes for anyone who reads Public Musings. I can be bought. For 1 million dollars I will not make fun of you. I'm cheaper than Conan.

If I could vote for NBC Presidents, I'd vote for the other guy.

No comments: