Friday, January 29, 2010

Awkward Phrasing

"Obama Will Give You $2,500 To Go To School."


Really? It seems to me the future taxpayers are paying for it, not Obama himself. The headline ought to read - "The US Government Will Force Your Future Self To Give You $2,500 To Go To School." Something very strange about how suddenly everything seems to be about Obama -- the line that struck me as weird in the State of the Union "I WON'T QUIT." Gee, really. Is this something that needs to be stated? If someone in my office went around saying "I WON'T QUIT," my immediate reaction would be, "Were you considering it?"

And quit what? When I'm being sexually harassed (which happens a surprising amount, dear reader) and the harasser says, "I WON'T QUIT," it isn't exactly what I was hoping for. Or when we're talking about the President spending my tax money to bail out Wall Street Bankers who were taking unnecessary risks and he says, "I WON'T QUIT," again, it's not something I'm pleased with. Or "I WON'T QUIT," holding beer summits. See...the whole "I WON'T QUIT," presumes he's doing the right thing. In which case, it is pretty much a statement of the obvious.

No comments: