Monday, July 06, 2009

Poor Man's Summer Vacation

What does a broke-ass Hollywood Assistant do for summer vacation? Go home and mooch off the parents - that's what. In itself, that is not interesting. However, what one chooses to do with the time - could be. Beyond catching up with friends/family, eating out, playing tennis, swimming, and golfing, ie, usual summer break activities, this Hollywood assistant was in a mood - a kind of male melancholia and romanticism. I read a bunch of Larry McMurtry. Finished Comanche Moon, re-read a good chunk of Lonesome Dove before stopping and buying Streets of Laredo. *Note - I will read the entire Lonesome Dove series this summer. I watched Public Enemies, The Misfits (John Huston), Rocky, Hung (premiere), The Wild Bunch, and The Limey. I watched a baseball game and listened to a lot of Neil Young and to the audio-story of Brokeback Mountain. Writing that, it sounds gay, but I promise it isn't. I didn't write anything, but did a lot of thinking (I loved David Mamet's line about writing and time - to paraphrase: it isn't the writing that takes time, it's the thinking). Nevertheless, with respect to the thinking, I didn't figure anything out.

No comments: