Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ryan Seacrest

I must confess to barely knowing who or what Ryan Seacrest does or is, but I know he makes a lot of money. I guess he is on American Idol, but I associate Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell with American Idol, so yeah, I'm pretty ignorant on this whole thing...I know Liz Lemon apes "Seacrest, out" although I'm not sure what that is from....

...in any case, he jumps from WME to CAA because he doesn't want to pay full commission. The agents are calling him sleeze for not wanting to pay the full 10%. Here's the thing - the guy is signing a contract for $45 mil. It's not like the agents repping him now are the guys that found him when he was doing a one-person show on Santa Monica Blvd. They are guys who inherited him, field his calls, set his meetings, and maybe negotiate his deals (although I bet he has a lawyer doing it). In any case, an agent at his level, what do they do? They aren't pounding the pavement trying to find him a job. Do you think they deserve $4.5 mil for fielding some calls and reading submissions? Probably not.

No comments: