Friday, July 31, 2009

The Only Question

Is whether to see THE HURT LOCKER or PUBLIC ENEMIES a second time. Or to watch the remaining 3 episodes of DEADWOOD Season 1.

Someone was bugging me about PUBLIC ENEMIES the other day. I'm getting tired of "defending" movies I like. Can't a man just enjoy a movie? Or not enjoy? What is the point of debating or defending a movie? I enjoy discussing movies, but debating movies is pointless. It's not a position to defend or court case to be won. I don't give a shit about convincing someone a movie is good or not. What does it matter if you differ in opinion on movies? I differ with everyone all the time. It is no big deal. I don't understand why people want consensus about a movie. Who cares?

I was thinking about why I don't care to pick apart PUBLIC ENEMIES. If you a make an adult film about men with guns, there is a 75% chance I'm going to enjoy it. That's just right off the bat. It you make a cartoonish movie (Pineapple Express) or completely unserious movie (like Righteous Kill), yes, I'm not going to like it. But make an honest attempt at a badass cops and guns style movie, I'm not fricking picky, all right? If you're a cute girl and cool, I'm going to like you. There isn't anything complicated about it. I'm not going to examine every little detail and say, her eyes are too far apart or her hands are too big. Yeah, everyone and every movie is imperfect. It's all about how. If the movie is imperfect, but about a badass robbing banks with a code of ethics in changing times and there's a pretty girl and some bad dudes trying to fuck with his shit. I'm going to like it, okay.

No comments: