Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'd Be Tempted to Flip Out, Too

On the Gates incident. At first, I didn't really know or care about the story. But the basic gist:

Last week, Mr. Gates found himself locked out of his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Instead of calling a locksmith, he and his chauffeur proceeded to break into the house. When a neighbor noticed the two men forcing their way through the front door, she called the police. According to the police report, when the officers arrived Mr. Gates became belligerent, “exhibiting loud and tumultuous behavior,” and was arrested for disorderly conduct.


It sure sounds like the policeman was stupid. The guy broke into his own home and had evidence to prove it. But why would he freak out to the point of getting arrested? That I don't know. Do I think it has to do with race? Not really. I mean - what are the people involved supposed to do? If a lady sees folks breaking into a house and reports it, fine. She didn't know he was her neighbor. No big deal. I don't know half my neighbors. What was the cop supposed to do? Not respond? The only flaw is the cops dumbass reaction in not believing the guy and then the guy flipping out. But what is he supposed to do? I don't know. It all sounds really petty and dumb. I won't be losing sleep.

No comments: