Wednesday, June 03, 2009

LA Stories

I would like to read some analysis about how Los Angeles is portrayed in television, movies, and books. I must say, I am a huge fan of setting things in LA. Perhaps just because I live here, but there is a lot to be said about this town. Last night I was reminded of a brilliant LA depiction in Seinfeld in the two-parter episode about when Kramer moves out to LA. Kramer's delusion about how great things are going in LA are hilarious and close to home -

(this section is cut and paste and paraphrase)

"I met a girl."

"She was murdered."

"Yeah, but still."

"Things are great. A lot is happening. I'm a player."

"You've been arrested as a serial killer."

"Oh...THAT? I'll be out in a couple hours."

There are obviously a lot of filmmakers and writers and other artists who explore LA. Steve Martin has this whole subset of his work that is basically about LA - Shopgirl, LA Story, LA is like a side project for him.

....so anyhow, in a subject somewhat related....the other day I'm driving down 3rd Street over near the Grove and I stop at a light. I look on the corner and see a dude that I recognize. I can't quite place him. "Did he go to USC?" I thinking. Then all of a sudden it hits me - it's Tim Riggins! I wish I was in a crazier mood, I would've rolled down my window and yelled, "YOU'RE A COWARD, RIGGINS!" one of my favorite moments when Jason Street tries to find him from a wheelchair.

No comments: