Monday, June 01, 2009

Bad Advice, Big Surprise

At the end of film school when everyone is looking for jobs, the only widely accepted conventional wisdom everyone seemed to buy into was "Don't work for a big agency." I took this advice. An entertainment temp agency wanted to send me on an interview to CAA, I said, "No, thanks." I don't want to work at a big agency. "Why not?" The guy asked me. I said, "I'm a writer and I need time to write." He pointed around to everyone in the office and said, "We're all freaking writers!" My second response, "Well, I had friends who worked at them and they didn't have good employment experiences." "Wimps." he said. "Asshole," I'm thinking.

In hindsight, however, I think the film school "accepted wisdom" was wrong. Why?

Because people do not MAKE A LIVING making movies because they have promising talent and are good, solid, ethical people. People who earn a living making movies have either "access to power" or "leverage." Access to power means either a star or studio is willing to take a bet on your proven ability. "Leverage" means you possess something more than one person wants, ie the rights to a script, multiple acting job offers, a saleable finished movie. Of course there are tons of minor steps that operate underneath these assumptions - basically an interwoven web of relationships that facilitate access and/or leverage. A team of people need to get behind a script to give it "value," and likewise a team of people need to get behind someone to give them "access."

If you have any of these things or the beginnings of any of these things, great! Go for it. But if you don't - and most people right out of film school don't, why not try to find them? Why not build relationships with people who do have access to power or people with leverage. And there is no quicker or more central place to find these things in Hollywood than for a big agency.

That is not to say I regret my choices or my current situation. Nor is it to say, everyone ought to do this (obviously, the culture at these places is not for everyone), nor is it to say it is a guaranteed path to any type of success, nor is it to say it will make you a better writer or producer or filmmaker or whatever you wanted to coming to film school in the first place. I do not wish I spent the last 2 years at CAA. However, I wish some of my peers/friends did go off and work at these places because it would increase their "access." And on the path to making a living making movies - access is a tool you're gonna need, just like you need to know how to create tension in a script and compose a shot and cut a scene.

My basic point is this - there are multiple reasons people go to USC - learn to make movies, find good collaborators, and make connections. Working at a big agency can lead to finding good collaborators (hint - everyone there wants to make movies) and make connections. And it doesn't cost $30 grand in tuition. They'll actually pay YOU! So why is it the conventional wisdom points so directly in the opposite direction? It makes zero sense. I think the major reason is that everyone looks at the filmmakers they adore and aspire to be and do not see CAA Assistant on their resume. Of course, if they checked, very few would say USC film school, either. So what's with the selective logic? Help me, folks, I'm trying to figure out why we're working against our own interests.

6 comments:

robyn said...

Who gave you that bad advice? I feel like people at USC sometimes have really bad advice that is not at all situated in current reality. And then everyone repeats it without understanding the reasoning behind it (if there was any). It's not show art, people, it's show BUSINESS. Go watch some old Micheal Fox movies and figure it out.

Greg said...

let's put it this way, robyn - do you know anyone who works at a big agency from usc? do you know anyone who applied? i don't.

a friend's older brother specifically said "don't work for a big agency," but i think the attitude spread a lot further than that. everyone right out of school wanted to work as a writer's assistant or director's assistant.

Greg said...

or not be an assistant at all.

andy v said...

i got the advice from multiple people - USC and outisde - to go work for an agency and had one interview at paradigm and applied to a lot more - that said I didn't want the jobs. i think it's more that most people who went to film school don't want to work in the agency environment - culture, commitment, suits etc. i can think of a few people who went to work for the big agencies, not sure how it turned out.

Greg said...

i think the suit point is actually pretty accurate. people opt for film school because partially because they want to life a lifestyle that does not include suits. and agency culture still requires it. but the other big thing is the mail room-make-your-bones element of agency life that folks who just spent 90 grand on film school aren't excited about.

and now that i think about it, there were a few folks, mostly industry people who suggested the agency path to me...but all were non-usc people - a guy i did an internship with, a guy i worked with, etc. it's just the usc-grad program attitude was definitely anti-big-agency.

all this came up simply because i needed some script samples yesterday and wasn't close with anyone at a big agency who could've got them for me easily.

robyn said...

Yeah, I definitely get not wanting to start in the mailroom, or as an assistant to an agent, for that matter, after coming out your Master's program. I think the root misconception is that USC doesn't really help you figure out how to infiltrate the industry. It makes it possible to succeed once you are in it, but it doesn't really provide a path in.