Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hmmmm

On the recession "narrative."

We all do the “narrative thing,” so this post isn’t an indictment of the practice. Heck, this post and this blog (like all opinion-driven media) are exercises in cherry picking things that “confirm” what I observe and believe.


Thing is, events also effect narrative understanding...it's not as if I just sit around looking for stuff to confirm what I already believe. Generally, what I believe to be true is born out of what I witness, read, and generally experience. If all of a sudden good pitching ceases to be the vital component to winning baseball games - I'll be the first to say it. But it simply isn't true.

(one caveat I'll add - one of the reasons the A's are so lucky in terms of getting good young pitching has to do with the ballpark. With the wide foul territories, the Coliseum is a pitching friendly park. This is one reason why these great young pitchers go elsewhere, they don't perform as well. Shhh - don't tell any GMs)

As for the recession - well, I see my stocks falling 35-50% and my friends and family losing their jobs and a ton of "for rent" signs around the neighborhood, and well, it doesn't take a genius to know the obvious.

No comments: