Sunday, March 29, 2009

Deal Making Weekend

Happened upon a garage sale this weekend and an old dude was selling incredible records for $1 a piece. Problem: I don't own a record player. It didn't stop me from purchasing several awesome albums. I have an amp and two speakers sitting in my living room, unhooked for the past year and a half. I drive around with Phil looking for a record player at a garage sale, but cannot find a suitable one. I look on craigslist and find mostly dj turntables - a bit more than I need. Finally, I locate a dude in WestHo who collects turntables and wants to sell a basic old school technics (best brand). Cost - $50. I try to negotiate down - but he says no wiggle room because he paid $30 to fix it himself. Fine. I got some "found" money the other day, so I'm not bothered. Last night, I was up and running with $10 worth of records and my $50 turntable. A lot of fun. And while I was on my craigslist binge, I decide to finally try and sell my old TV - the first TV I ever bought - a 27" Toshiba for $300 in 2001 when I moved into my apartment in San Fran. It served me well for seven years until I moved into my Santa Monica apartment and there was already a TV. It sat in my room unhooked for over a year. I put it up for $50 to pay for the turntables. A couple of recent grads from LMU offered me $39 - good bargainers these young ladies - and I just wanted it out of my room for the space and took the dough. Overall, I'm up a turntable with some sweet records and extra space in my room and down an old TV and $20.

Trade is good.

No comments: