Monday, February 23, 2009

Trader Joe's

A freakonomics post on Trader Joe's and who owns it. I think the author gets it wrong in describing Trader Joe's customers. I like - but certainly don't love - Trader Joe's. I like their prices and some of their stuff - in particular - the single pre-prepared frozen meals, discount cheese, and a few of the fish dishes. But I've always had a problem with Trader Joe's: it doesn't carry some of my staples and the produce sucks. When I go to the grocery store - I have several staples: milk, Diet Pepsi, Tillamook Cheddar, Tropicana Orange juice, tomatoes, and onions. Trader Joe's does not pass muster on any of these items except for milk. On the branded items, Trader Joe's doesn't even carry them or an appropriate substitute. The tomatoes and onions are subpar.

So for me...going to Trader Joe's also translates to another, additional trip to the grocery story. I think the optional Trader Joe's trip involves stocking up on things like olive oil, soy sauce, cheap wine, frozen dinners, and picking up some snacks OR if you are planning some type of small/medium sized party and you want to eat decent food at reasonable prices (although Trader Joe's spread of cheeses and hummus dips and pita chips are pretty overplayed these days). The off brand Water Crackers are good as are some of the healthier snacks.

No comments: