Friday, February 06, 2009

Belated Sports Thoughts

I really enjoyed the Super Bowl. It's been said it wasn't a great game save one play in the first half and the end...but it was just as good a game I could reasonably expect from the Cardinals playing the Steelers. 'Zona earned some major respect. Their D stepped up and got them back in the game (except when it really counted) and Warner played like a champ. I ask myself - if Farve had played like Warner - would this column be different? Would I be blaming the Arizona loss on the red zone int and inability to stop the run back for td at the end of the first half? I guess I don't know. But the measure of a player and team is how they respond to failure and letdown. It didn't crush Warner and Zona stayed strong and almost came back to win. In the end, I think they suffered from inexperience. Their defense softened up in the last minute and couldn't stop Big Ben and Pittsburgh from coming back. It's incredibly hard to do, but they did have the momentum.

But here's the thing - is Brett Farve a better QB than Kurt Warner? If Farve accomplished what Warner did this year (leading a crappy franchise to a title shot), he'd be lionized as one of the greatest QBs of all time and certainly of his generation. In fact, the media was doing just that in week 10 or so before Farve let one of the most incredible letdowns in recent memory and even got his teammates jumping on him. Does this poison his legacy? A little. Even I thought Farve was a least a locker room guy and overrated in the skills and decision making department. But it turns out, at least this year, he wasn't even that. In any case, Warner has the MVPs, the Super bowl ring, and the leading various teams to the title that Farve doesn't have. Farve vs. Warner, in the ring? I take Warner.

Alright - yesterday - Derek Fisher basically locks up arms with Ray Allen on the final shot - how is that not a foul? Jesus!

No comments: