Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thoughts on McCain's Speech

Wow. McCain is not a good speaker. He's clutzy, speaks in simpleton terms, and barely talked any specifics. On delivery, I'd give him a C. His positions - which, granted, I needed to fill in holes - weren't bad per se. I suppose the one I find silly is his nod to the right to life, but what do you expect from a Republican?

It seemed an odd choice to me the amount he focused on cutting taxes and economic factors vs. the war and Islamic terrorism. It would seem to me his strong suit to talk about how to end Iraq and beat Al Queda.

But - his personal story about being a cocky young pilot and falling in love with his country during captivity was the most emotional moments of any of the political speeches. Simply put, McCain's been through some shit - real shit - and came out of it. One might call that integrity, one might call it courage. Whatever you want to say, the dude has character.

That said, it isn't clear to me he'll be a better President than Obama. And that's something to remember, as big a deal as Palin is now, these races don't ever come down to the VP - people will vote for McCain or Obama - because they know that's what matters.

No comments: